Friday 5 April 2013

Rest Ensured! (An update)


Kitchen beats the Lab!
A small victory! After a semi-arduous process that involved a screaming match with my manager, him mulling over my scathing (semi-psychotic) critiques, and the help of Peter, the practicum student who just happened to be a health nut summoned to research the facts (perhaps more convincing than my impassioned, militant, back alley uproar), the 1200 dollars of chemical sludge known as Ensure is on its way back to the Superstore!

I am elated not just because of the tangible benefit to our clients, but because on a broader level this success demonstrates that fighting for your values and for what you believe is the ethical choice can sometimes pay off.

The battle continues though. Ensure is after all the industry staple (along with Glucerma by the same company made special for diabetics). I found out from Peter that our organization has a whole warehouse full of that crap!

But the conversation has started. I plan to bludgeon management with as much info as I can possibly package in a readable format and my own boss is on board! While I know that  "the revolution cannot be funded," (Great book, check it out, especially if you are working in the social services field: http://www.incite-national.org/index.php?s=89), meaningful change can (albeit painstakingly at times) happen from within the NONPROFITINDUSTRIAL compound.

I now have 1200 dollars to spend on a new (non-patronizing, victim blaming, tasty, and natural, I'm thinking) nutritional program for people with HIV.

The wheels in my mind are a spinnin' spinnin' spinning!

My number 1 principle: don't serve anything you wouldn't eat

No comments:

Post a Comment