Sunday 28 October 2012

Journey Not Destination



Welcome to Melodie Unchained!

My name is Mélodie and I am a cook, a sociologist, a holistic health nut and an avid people watcher. I am hoping to bridge all these interests here. I love what I do and so I've named this blog after one of the most interesting and endearing clients of the mental health drop in that I work at. He is quite OCD and every time I walk by he asks me "are you an unchained Melodie?" The question can get a little frustrating when it is asked for the twentieth time in less than an hour but it's one of those things that makes me chuckle on a daily basis no matter how chaotic my day happens to be at the moment—and it is often that chaos reigns!

Food is a huge part of my life: I read about food, I research food and develop recipes, I cook and I eat. I also work on healing myself and others through food. I can cure a hangover in two bites! But in all seriousness I am amazed on a daily basis how life changing a commitment to eating a whole, natural foods diet truly is. Now if only this type of diet was accessible to everyone...

As a kid I thought I would become a chef when I grew up, but I ended up studying food security programs in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) where  few people have access to even the basics of a somewhat nutritious diet, never mind organic, free range, grass fed, super food, green,
locally grown...you get the point.

The DTES is an amazingly rich place where one comes across as many inspiring people as there are sad stories. During my research I got to know awesome folks at the DTES Neighbourhood House who really opened my eyes to food justice issues, holistic nutrition, who inspired me with some of the best vegetarian food I have ever come across and who taught me how to run kick ass community kitchens. I could not have asked for a better education and like to say that I have a masters in food. 

After school I was starving to get my hands dirty in a kitchen, to do rather than write. I can honestly say that I have my dream job because I get to cook for 150 people on a daily basis and to run community kitchens where we make awesome and interesting food on a very tight budget. It is both frustrating and creatively stimulating to work within the limits of charity while trying to push these. I feel very fortunate that I get to learn and work in the DTES. Like many determined people here I have learnt to sometimes pick my battles and that success is often measured in smiles.




For me it is always about the journey, not the destination (my favourite cliché after freedom, of course). Now that I am "doing" I am stoked to start writing again! Full circle...I hope you will enjoy my recipes, my observations, and my successes and struggles both in and out of the kitchen. 









No comments:

Post a Comment